Opportunities to join our team, join our board of trustees, or volunteer with us
Funeral and Wedding Trainers
We are currently seeking experienced individuals to lead our Celebrant Training Programme courses for an initial 12 month period starting in 2024. The contract is renewable for further periods of 12 months subject to review and at the discretion of the Society. We would like to recruit two lead trainers who would be able to work collaboratively with one another. Our initial consideration is to have one lead trainer for funerals and one for weddings – with the ability to support each other and provide cover if necessary.
Humanist Society Scotland is the longest standing and most trusted provider of humanist ceremonies in Scotland. We recruit celebrants across Scotland, all from different backgrounds with different experiences. Our network of self-employed celebrants conduct around 6000 funeral, wedding and naming ceremonies every year. Our celebrants are supported by a central staff team, mentors, peer support and regular regional meetings as well as our annual Gathering event for celebrants.
Our Trainers play an important role, ensuring our trainees are trained to a high standard as they prepare to conduct personalised ceremonies for families and couples during some of the most important times in their lives.
Traditionally our training programme has taken in one group a year of around 10-12 trainees. They would then be trained in naming, wedding and funeral ceremonies over the course of a year. Each phase started with a two-day residential training weekend, followed by a rehearsal day and assessment day. Looking forward, we are prioritising funeral and wedding training with the potential for a follow up naming course for trainees in due course.
Face to face training is a key part of our programme and this will continue moving forward, but we are interested to hear how any potential applicants would approach using online webinars and homework as part of this mix.
We encourage everyone to apply from across Scotland, especially people with disabilities, people from ethnic minority backgrounds and the LGBT+ community.
Key responsibilities of the role
- Designing a comprehensive training curriculum covering funeral or wedding ceremonies (including legal requirements)
- Conduct engaging and interactive training sessions, both in-person and online
- Set out assessment criteria (assessments are carried out by our assessors)
- Input into our recruitment criteria when recruiting for new trainee celebrants
- Provide ongoing support for celebrants, fostering a collaborative and learning-oriented environment
- Develop and update training materials to reflect industry best practices and evolving trends
- Provide leadership to trainees and represent Humanist Society Scotland
- Work collaboratively with staff, fellow trainers, mentors and assessors
The Trainer roles are to lead training only, with recruitment and assessment of trainees organised separately. Trainers will help with input for recruitment criteria and the planning of assessment criteria.
If you have any questions or would like a chat about the roles you can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for applications is midnight on Monday 26th February 2024. Interviews are scheduled to take place on Monday 11th and Tuesday 12th March 2024.