Thinking of eloping?
Maybe you have always wanted to have a day that is just about you and your partner, and you want to celebrate with friends and family separately. Or perhaps you have always dreamt of getting married somewhere remote and peaceful. Or even the idea of planning a big wedding fills you with dread, or it’s just not very ‘you’. Then an elopement or micro wedding may feel like a better ‘fit’ for you. If so, here are a few things to consider.
- Don’t forget to bring the legal paperwork! If you’re not local to home, you’re unlikely to have the time or the means to go back to get it.
- Just because it’s a small affair, doesn’t mean you have to have a simple ceremony. You can still include symbolic gestures, read poems, write your own vows and have musicians.
- Ask friends and family to write you letters to open on the day so that they can still be a part of your special day. You could also include them in symbolic gestures, for example using something of theirs in a handfasting or a drink you have enjoyed together in the quaich.
- As you don’t have to worry about lots of guests being able to make it, go for a weekday! You’ll get your pick of venues and suppliers.
- Hire photographers and videographers who are experts in elopements. They will know the most stunning locations. Their experience will create an extraordinary visual story of your day for those not there.
- Pick somewhere off the beaten path to avoid crowds. Or if there is an available garden (which could be your own at home of course), have your ceremony there to ensure total privacy.
- Make sure there is somewhere appropriate to park if you are driving. If people are travelling separately – make sure you decide on somewhere obvious to meet up!
- If you’re thinking outdoors, then consider the scottish weather! We can literally have four seasons in one day. Pack your wellies or walking boots, layers, brollies, midge repellent, sunscreen. And if you’re heading somewhere rural, be prepared for mud and cow pats!
Secure Your Date
If you know your wedding date, secure it now!
You can book just the date and find your celebrant later, book the date and have us find you an available celebrant, or book the date and your chosen celebrant now